Friday, August 1, 2008

Griswold Island, Connecticut

On Saturday, July 19, Bob and I, plus daughter, Katie hitched a ride (with brother-in-law, Bill) over to Griswold Island for a couple of days. There are nine properties on the island and all are privately owned. My sister and brother-in-law own one property with my niece and nephew right next door, a true family compound!

First order of business was a kayak tour around the island for me, Katie and niece Kathy.

We then walked around the island and met several of the islanders. In the center of the island is the fire bell. Fires are always a concern on an island, but the islanders have fixed up a great system for fighting fires until the fire department can get over in a boat. There is a 1400 gallon water tank buried on top of the island with water lines leading off in three different directions. Good to be prepared!

The kayak beach.

Dinner on the deck.

Katie at low tide on Sunday morning. Our travels to and from the island are all planned around high tide. At low tide, the island boat would be in the mud.

Ed and Doris Jean, my nephew and sister.

Thanks for Visiting!

4 comments:

ecruise said...

What a nice surprise to happen accross this blog , and see photos of the island where I used to play as a kid....as well as pics of my Uncle Bill , Aunt Doris Jean and Cousin Kathy :)
Cheers ,
Eric Cruise

G Dubey said...

I just happened to come across this blog. My family lived on Griswold Island from the late 40's until 1959. Our place was the highest point - my view every morning was south over to the Plum water tank. Henry Sieffert and his wife lived between us and the beach, Hank, Phyllis and Wendy to the west, Elsie down by the well, Art, Dottie and my best childhood friend Bruce on the south eastern point. Ray, Charlotte, Raymie and Billy lived behind us on the Giants Neck side, Hullie and the Manwaring clan behind us to the Norrhwest. The Cruises and Ferns rounded out the families.

As I understand it, Bill Sieffert, Dewey Cavanaugh and my grandfather, Phil Dubey " settled there to basically fish and drink/chill, probably in the 30's, early 40's.

I spent my first 12 summers there and continue to think of it as Paradise. No running water, no electricity, no phones. Lots of salt water, sun,boats, sand and fun!

I fortunately still live on the shoreline and go by the island many times each year by boat. I have not been on the island in a few years, but hope to stop by soon.

Happy to swap history/memories with fellow islanders.

Gerry Dubey gerald.b.dubey@gmail.com

M

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across this as well. Family friends are one of the owners and it was always a treat coming here to play. Tons of great memories. My first dog's ashes are scattered here; it was her favorite place in the world.

FernRose said...

My name is Holly Ann Fern and My grandmother was Dorothy. My mom Dale Fern, Aunt Karen And Father Dick Fern. Spent many summers there as a child and have many fond memories. Walk to the well in the morning, fishing all day, crabbing and searching for little necks. I always through my teddy bear in the water when it was time to leave because I never wanted to go. My grandmother passed in the 80's and my father and aunt Karen sold the property. Wish they hadn't would love to have visited again as an adult.